Wednesday, March 12

Reflection: Week 10 [Wednesday]

Fan and participatory culture is a fascinating evolution of entertainment and popular culture. When Trekkies and Star Wars junkies start recycling and creating their own stories, films and characters out of the original canon of material, a phenomenon is born and a cyclical relationship to the medium is generated.

When reflecting on this class overall, I believe understanding historical and contemporary culture is vital to understanding the individual, youth and contributors to our popular culture and world.

The church cannot remain in a bubble and ignore how the world has and is working. Too often, I believe the church tries to create Christian alternatives to culture, rather than embracing popular culture. And more often than not, the Christian product is crap. Christian media tries to package the crap to make it look and sound the same, but in the end it's still crap. You can't polish a turd.

3 comments:

Chris Sikorowski said...

I hit you up with some comments

amy said...

I am going to hear Jaye Baker speak Saturday night. You should come with me.
email me
amykaherl at gmail dot com

amy said...

The info:

March 15, 2008 @ 7pm
Christ Chapel of the Valley
North Hollywood, CA

March 16, 2008 @ 9am & 11am
Christ Chapel of the Valley
North Hollywood, CA

He doesn't know that I am coming. I don't have his info anymore....but if you give me yours I will let you know if we do something afterwards.
amy