Saturday, March 1

Response: Simon's Blog [Week 8]

Simon Castagna mentioned in his post on Bevans breakdown of the transcendental model of contextual theology that, "I think God reveals himself to people who genuinely search for him, but in my opinion we can't rely only on subjectivity." In the end, I tend to agree with his analysis that, "We have sinful natures and our subjectivity is flawed."

But Simon's comments got me thinking that, if you drill down further, one could argue that the power of the Word of God transforming people that search is bigger than subjectivity itself. And when Paul describes this dramatic change in our hearts and minds as Jesus Christ living within us, we "put off the old man with his deeds" and "put on the new man" and we are "renewed" in knowledge and in the spirit of our minds (Colossians 3:9-10). Of course, the creation of righteous character is a two-way process. God gives us the knowledge and all the power we need. But we supply the choice to live righteously.

1 comment:

Simon said...

Hey Joe, thanks for your roughts and response. Yeah I had a nice week-end, visiting San Jose and having friends from France over.

I was thinking about this idea that the Spirit of God that restores us, and gets our our thoughts back on track. But I'm resolutely French and pessimistic so I didn't think I'd mention it.
And we'll also be kind of broken until the day He comes back.