Monday, February 18

Reflection: Week 7 [Monday]

As we continue to discuss culture, I am reminded how dependent today's culture is on technology; and as it changes, so does our culture. It is fascinating to think that only 10-15 years ago, cell phones were as big as a textbook and computers were pretty much only in large tower desktop form.

Our culture has grown dependent on technology, to the point where a fictional scenario like the script to Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard of a group of terrorists plotting to systematically shutting down the United States computer infrastructure is a legitimate fear and real possibility.

This past weekend, my dependence on technology came full circle. After finishing shooting footage for a short documentary film, I proceeded to download the footage to my Apple laptop… an hour later, my computer died. Turns out the hard drive had crashed, was dead and gone and the data not recoverable. Admittedly, the experience is a large pain in the ars. And ironically, the situation could have been avoided if I would have used the technology available at my home to diligently back up my data onto my external hard drive. Irony. You cruel beast, you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had so many scary moments like this with my PC and that's why I went to Mac and externals. If my computer infrastructure were gone. I'd be toast for sure!