Tuesday, January 22

Reading: Barker [Biology]

My favorite quote of the chapter is on page 123 where Barker claims, "Reductionism is a dirty word in cultural studies." Not a well placed F-bomb or ars... but reductionism. Hilarious. I didn't think I'd laugh reading this book. But you got me, Barker. You got me.

Reflecting on biology and evolution is pretty easy this quarter since one of my other classes is exploring the nature of humanity. Joel Green is teaching the class, NS589: The Human Person in New Testament Perspective, and we are focusing on the multivalent witness of the New Testament, understood theologically within its literary and cultural worlds and in relation to contemporary science. By identifying thoughtful ways in which the natural sciences contribute to our theological understanding of the human person, it has been a challenging journey into the study of science and faith. You could say most of the material covered in NS589 is over most of our heads, but studying the physiology of the mind, body and soul is incredibly interesting nonetheless. Personally, I never knew a corpus callosum could be so enthralling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It will be interesting to see how (where and if) Green's class plays into our discussions on culture and the church.