Saturday, January 12

Response: Michael Huang's Blog [Week 1]

You had me at Pedro. Michael Huang's observation on his January 9th blog post caught my eye for more reasons than the Pedro The Lion reference. Yes, I find myself at time like one of the Bob's on Office Space saying, "I celebrate his entire collection," about Pedro's music. But I too echo Michael's questions about "witnessing" and believe that your life is the best witness you can have rather than preaching the Good News to your friends and family. Sometimes just following the wise words of Matthew McConaughey's Wooderson [McConaughey's best and most famous role, probably due to the distinct possibility that he's not acting and just playing himself in the film] in Dazed and Confused is a much nobler path:

"The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!"



The reason I am drawn to Pedro The Lion is because David Bazan is a Christian believer that stays out of the Christian music scene, instead choosing to play his music to the popular culture at large. It's a testament both to his struggle with the institutional systems of church and his believe that his faith is better served in song outside the corporate structure of Christian labels. I've had the blessing of being able to commune with David and other Seattle musicians through old roommates in the local Seattle music "scene." The musicians that choose to be musicians in popular music over the Christian music scene have my utmost respect, for they are in effect "witnessing" through their lives to many more people than you or I can on a daily basis. From David Bazan to Rosie Thomas to Sufjan Stevens to The Pale Pacific, musicians of faith struggling with the same life questions that we struggle with in lyrical harmony is a wonderful thing.

No comments: