Thursday, January 31

Reading: Bevans [Translation]

When I first think of the word translation, in response to the translation model of contextual theology as explained by Bevans, personally think of the Greek and Hebrew translations of the Bible. Also know as, the primary reason I am in the MAT program instead of a MDiv student. I'll be honest, larning new languages scare me a little. I barely passed German in High School and didn't have to take a language during my undergrad over 10 years ago because I was able to test out of some math classes.


So when Bevans speaks of the translation method, I can relate from my experiences coordinating Sunday services where I took biblical text and created new and experiential ways the church goer could experience and understand the text, but beyond that not much in the way of languages. Basically, I can translate the English text to a current cultural setting better than most. But if you asked me the Greek root of eschatology, I'd be lost.

No comments: