Tuesday, January 29

Reading: Barker [Identity]

It seems to me that ones identity is formed by a self-realization in subjectivity. I guess you have to make a term for everything, but "subjectivity" is a term that seems to be a waste of space since one can find their identity in their talents, community, or actions. A soldier returning from war may not view themselves as a "hero" per say, but to many that is exactly what they are. The individual may not experience themselves this way, but the reality is that from an outside perspective is objective rather than subjective.

So maybe it is a matter of perspective rather than experience. Either way, personally I have found my identity within myself. One of my favorite lyrics is by Sting, who sings, "Be yourself, no matter what they say." Whoever yourself may be, and however you find yourself, be true to yourself. Unless you'd rather live a lie. In that case, you are just a tool. The truth hurts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this one a lot....so true and good. Nice work and thought dude!